IVC Filter Claims
Bard IVC Filter trial starts March 13, 2018
The first bellwether trial in the Bard IVC Filter litigation before Judge David Campbell is Sherr-Una Booker v. C R Bard Incorporated and Bard Peripheral Vascular Incorporated Case Number: 2:16-cv-00474.
IVC Filter lawsuits are filed against Rex/Argon, Bard, Cook and Cordis medical device manufacturers. The malfunctions include filter fractures, perforation, tilting and migration causing death and/or serious injuries to other organs. St. Clair was selected to serve the IVC Filter litigation committee overseeing bellwether jury trials. The litigation of four of the IVC Filter manufacturers is centralized as follows:
- Rex and Argon IVC filter cases are before Judge Arnold New in the Court of Common Pleas Trial Division – The Philadelphia Courts:
- Bard IVC Filter cases are before Judge David Campbell in Phoenix, Arizona IN RE: Bard IVC Filters Products Liability Litigation |
- Cook IVC Filter cases are before Judge Richard Young and U.S. Magistrate Judge Tim A. Baker in the Southern District of Indiana MDL Case Information | Southern District of Indiana | United States …
- Cordis IVC Filter cases are centralized in California.
Bard IVC Filter Bellwether trials begin March 13th, 2018 as follows:
- Sherr-Una Booker v. C R Bard Incorporated and Bard Peripheral Vascular Incorporated Case Number: 2:16-cv-00474
- Debra Mulkey v.C R Bard Incorporated and Bard Peripheral Vascular Incorporated Case Number:2:16-cv-00853
- Lisa Hyde v. C R Bard Incorporated and Bard Peripheral Vascular Incorporated Case Number: 2:16-cv-00893
- Doris and Alfred, Sr. Jones v. C R Bard Incorporated and Bard Peripheral Vascular IncorporatedCase Number:2:16-cv-00782
- Carol Kruse v. C R Bard Incorporated and Bard Peripheral Vascular IncorporatedCase Number:2:15-cv-01634
Over 2897 cases are pending in the Cook IVC Filter Litigation MDL. MDL Case Information | Southern District of Indiana | United States … The Cook IVC Filter Lawsuit Bellwether Trial schedule follows:
- Gage v. Cook Medical, Inc., et al., 1:14-cv-1875 will begin April 30, 2018
- Brand v. Cook Medical, Inc., et al., 1:14-cv-6018 will begin August 6, 2018
- Hill v. Cook Medical, Inc., 1:14-cv-6016 tried November 10, 2017 – Defense verdict
Rex/Argon IVC Filter
The Rex/Argon Litigation is centralized in the Court of Common Pleas Complex Litigation in Philadelphia before Judge Arnold New. 295 cases have been filed with no cases yet tried. Settlement conferences are under discussion.
Cordis IVC Filter
The Cordis IVC filter litigation has been centralized in California with no trial settings.
FDA Safety Communication
The FDA issued a safety communication May 6, 2014 for IVC filter removal, suggesting it should be removed between 29 and 54 days after implantation. However, the vast majority of cases allege the filters were not removed timely causing dangerous injury or death to the patients.Watch the IVC Filter NBC News stories here: NBC News IVC Story.
Serious symptoms and conditions that need immediate medical treatment include:
- Clot in the lungs exhibited by chest pain or difficulty breathing
- Cardiac or pericardial tamponade
- Internal bleeding
- Tachycardia or irregular heart rhythm
- DVT – deep venous thrombosis – clot in the legs or pelvis
- Hematoma or nerve damage at the puncture site
- Fracturing the spider-like struts of the filter,
- Tilting of the device,
- Migration of the filter,
- Perforation of the struts into the Heart, Lungs or Vena Cava
Free Medical Legal Consulation
Contact us posthaste at 1-800-814-4540, fill out the contact form to the right of this page, or email firstname.lastname@example.org for a free medical legal consultation. We understand the issues you are facing. Our firm has the trial expertise and financial resources to successfully prosecute these cases to resolution.
NBC Nightly News Uncovers IVC Filter Fractures
NBC uncovered further failures with other Bard Blood Clot Filters, the Bard G2 and G2 Express, linked to 12 deaths. This is the third in a series of investigations on 39 deaths associated with patients implated with Bard filter devices.
NBC News investigative reports that at least 27 deaths have been associated with Bard Recovery filter — a spider-shaped apparatus that is inserted into the largest vein in the body to prevent blood clots. Government data shows approximately 300 other non-fatal problems have also been reported with the Recovery, which is one of thousands of medical products sold by C.R. Bard.
IVC Blood Clot Filters Multidistrict Litigation (MDL)
Howard Nations and David Matthews have been appointed to the Plaintiffs Steering Committee (PSC) in both the Cook IVC Filters MDL and Bard IVC Filters MDL. Carolyn St. Clair serves on the bellwether selection committee.
Cook IVC Filters Perforation Study
A study published in 2012 in Cardiovascular and Interventional Radiology, found that a staggering 100 percent of the Cook IVC filters perforated the study participant’s venal wall within 71 days of implantation. The inferior vena cava filter in 40 percent of study participants was found to have tilted away from its original optimum position for capturing wayward blood clots from the leg. Another study in Annuals of Vascular Surgery in April 2013 urges removing the IVC filters as soon as no longer needed to prevent fatal complications.
Patients also have developed post thrombotic syndrome after IVC filter implantation.
Blood Clot Filters investigated include:
- Recovery (on the market beginning April 2003)
- G2 (on the market beginning October 2005)
- G2 X
- Gunther Tulip
- Option Elite – Video animation: OptionELITE Retrievable Vena Cava Filter
Retrieval of the filter may or may not be possible, depending on the make and model of the filter, the associated complications, symptoms exhibited and location where the device may have traveled in the body. These may be serious life threatening complications, so do not delay. There are strict time limits to retrieve your medical records identifying your manufacturer and file a claim.
Since the introduction of the retrievable temporary IVC filter, the FDA has received over 1000 adverse reports concerning fragmentation and embolization within the body. The FDA issued a safety warning on August 9, 2010 entitled “Removing Retrievable Inferior Vena Cava Filters: Initial Communication”, which warned against leaving IVC filters in for extended periods of time, because they have a tendency to cause life threatening problems. In a 2012 study, a 12% rate of filter fracture was reported to be associated with the IVC filters was found.
The researchers also found that the rate of filter fracture increased with the amount of time the implant was in the patient’s body. Unfortunately, just more than 50% of fractured IVC filters could be successfully removed. Although the body of the filter can often be removed successfully, the spider-like legs (or “struts”) often fracture and move to a position where retrieval is impossible. Product Identification is key as there are many permanent filters implanted that are not included in the subject of this litigation.
Do I Have A Case?
We are heavily involved in the IVC litigation and have been appointed to the Plaintiffs Steering Committee. Our firm has the medical legal trial expertise and resources to successfully prosecute these cases to resolution. We provide a monthly attorney client privileged enewsletter and quarterly reports to our clients and you can actually speak to a lawyer about your concerns. Contact us posthaste at 1-800-814-4540, fill out our contact form, or email email@example.com.